With asymmetric encryption, only the private key member of the pair must be kept private and secure; the public key can be made available to anyone without compromising the encrypted data.
Asynchronous encryption uses a key: value pair combination:
- The server generates its own public and private key
- The client generates its own public and private key
- Server and client exchange their public keys
- The server uses the client’s public key to encrypt data
- The client uses the server ‘s public key to encrypt data
- The server uses its private key to decrypt data sent by the client
- The client uses its private key to decrypt data sent by the server
- Example Algorithms/Products: EIGamal, RSA, DSA, Elliptic curve techniques, PKCS.
« Back to Glossary Index