As much as I love to work exclusively with the most shining and the latest of technologies, reality brings legacy applications and situations into the picture. And to be honest it can be exciting to see Windows XP running in the Cloud. Did I mention running Windows 2003 R2 SP2 as well?
This is what I used to have XP & Window 2003 R2 SP2 running
- My Azure Subscription
- A Windows 2012 R2 SP2 as the base to glue all things together.
- A Windows 2003 R2 .VHD
- A Windows XP .VHD
- The Virtual Box latest version
- On the Windows 2012 R2 install Virtual Box Latest Version
Getthe . VHD Files for XP and Windows Server 2003 R2 here and here.Better to Google where to get the VHDs as these links don’t live thru time.
- Create each VM in Virtual Box as Usual
- When installing the Windows 2003 R2 image change the date as it will say the copy has expired. Put a date in 2003 and it will work.
- That’s it